Wednesday, June 21, 2006

worried about nursing/carseat study/epigen

I went up for her 9 pm feeding to bring her carseat so they can do the carseat study tonight (yayyyyy!!)  I also tried nursing her for the first time in a few weeks.  I hadn't been nursing her b/c it was more important for her to get the hang of bottle feeding, and tonight she didn't want to latch at all :-(  I'm hoping once she comes home we can get her trasitioned easily, b/c I can't handle pumping AND bottle feeding for too long.  Right now pumping is enough of a pain in the rear b/c I have to make sure to be home every 3 hours or so.  If she's nursing and I'm out somewhere I can still nurse her.  However, if she's bottle feeding and I'm still pumping, I have to feed her and then pump which will be very difficult especially at night.  Scott will help I'm sure, but still.  I know breastmilk is best for her, and I'm really hoping she will transition, but I'm not too optimistic about it.  She just doesn't have the strength to really nurse well yet.  Bottle feeding is sooooo much easier for her b/c it just drips into her mouth if she doesn't suck.  We'll have to see how it goes, I will give it a few weeks.  A lady from church went thru that not too long ago and said she's got all kinds of info and tips for me if I need them.  However, if after a month she's still not nursing I will have to reevaluate things.  I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but we'll see.  I was only able to nurse Brendan for 6 weeks b/c I went back to work, and he's healthy as a horse b/c those first 6 weeks I know are the most important.  I think if she gets breastmilk for 3 full months we'll be doing good.  Of course I'll discuss it with her pediatrician too. 

Sorry for rambling, just had all that on my mind and needed to get it out.  I forgot to mention earlier that she is still anemic, so they are doing another round of the epigen, the 3x a week for 2 weeks shot.  Good news is that they won't make her stay in the hospital, they will have a home nurse come over and give her the shot. 

Tomorrow we are rooming in, and then friday the plan is to bring her home as long as the rooming in goes well.  She didn't want to take her 9 pm feeding for me and the nurse said if she doesn't eat for us and/or looses weight it may push back her discharge, but I think she'll be fine.  She takes most of her feedings just fine for me.  We will probably just give herbottles thru the night to make sure she is eating so that she doesn't loose weight.  I think part of the reason she didn't eat was b/c I tried to nurse first and that tires her out.  Plus she usually has one or two feedings a day where she doesn't take the whole thing b/c she is sleepy, but she still gains weight so they're happy.  I talked to the nurse about it and pointed out that if she was home and did that we could just try again in an hour or so, we don't HAVE to keep her on the 3 hour schedule they have her on, and she agreed with me.  We'll see how it goes. 

1 comment:

lfhelgason said...

Dear Jen,
When my son was born, I was pumping and bottle feeding him because he was to weak to breast feed.  Eventually I had to give up pumping but I knew the breast milk during his early weeks was the most important.  I think you have the right attitude about not setting your mind that she will be breast fed. Do the best you can and if it works, great.  If not, then put your energy into caring for her in other ways.  It was hard for me, I did cry, but I knew it was best for my son.

Free advice is often worth what you pay for it, nothing.  LOL  Here is my free advice, to take or leave.  When it is time for your little Meghan to have her DPT shots, do not feel pressured, you can wait.  Or you can choose to only give her part of the shot and give her the rest at a later date when she is heavier and healthier.  I wish someone had told me the options.  


I hope you will be able to bring her home soon.  My best wishes for your family.