Monday, May 22, 2006

Sunday update

Yesterday (Sunday) she gained 2 whole ounces!!!  She's now 3 lbs 9 oz.  She's still not doing that great on feedings, I was there for her noon feeding and she nursed for about a minute and fell asleep.  I called to see how her other feedings went b/c I decided I wasn't going to come up for her 9 pm feeding if she was still sleepy, and her nurse said she hadn't taken a bottle for the rest of the day, so I stayed home to let her sleep.  I called before bed and the nurse said she had gotten her to take 10 cc's from a bottle, 1/3 of her feeding. 

I had asked the nurse yesterday "now, the feeding thing is her last major hurdle, right?" and the nurse said "yes, but they won't send her home before 36 weeks.  They just aren't mature enough at that age."  Which really bummed me out at first, that's still 4 weeks away.  However, I got thinking and remembered what her doc said when she was only a day old, he gave me an original estimate of 5-8 weeks.  5 weeks would be 34 weeks, and since she is doing Sooooooooo much better than they ever thought she would, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it is closer to that than 36 weeks.  I know I'm not supposed to be pushing her, and I promise I'm not.  When she falls asleep during nursing, I stop.  If she's showing signs of overstimulation, I put her back in  her isolette and let her rest.  But, I can't help but hope that if she can just learn to wake up for feedings, she'll come home soon.  I plan to talk to her doc about what the nurse said, see what the doc says.  I like her weekday doc a lot, she's AWESOME.  She is very into "try and see". 

Oh, they're going to be moving her out of the isolette soon, she's getting too warm in there.  They have it a little below room temp now I think, but because it is enclosed, she's just getting too toasty.  Which is good, it means she can hold her own temp with no problem.  They said we can bring clothes up for her too so she doesn't have to wear that gigantic white shirt, so I washed all her clothes last night (in dreft, and used dye free/scent free fabric softener so I don't have to worry that it will irritate her skin) and I'm going to bring up some of her preemie clothes today.  I'm going to write her name on the tags though so they don't get mixed in with other kids clothes.  Those suckers are expensive and I don't want to loose any of them!I'm hoping to get her dressed when we go there today and get some good photos of her for her birth announcements.

No comments: